Remember I made some homemade almond milk a few days back? Then I mentioned that we didn’t really like the taste of the almond milk. Since the coconut milk can be used as part of the paleo diet, I have decided to make some as well. I use the same method as for making of almond milk. The aromatic smell of the coconut is simply fragrant. Can’t help but to stick my nose into the bag of the shredded coconut. Is like sniffing glue? Haha..
To make the coconut milk, we actually need to soak the shredded coconut first! Soaking is always part of the ‘milking’ process! To save a bit of water and detergent, soak the shredded coconut in the blender instead of a bowl. You can have a dish less to wash! Oh yeah, I am lazy.
Then we will just blend the coconut milk for about 3 minutes, look at those bubbles, aren’t they beautiful!
Pour the blended coconut milk into a nut milk bag in a big bowl! Then squeeze! Squeeze harder!!
Transfer the end product, the milk, to a bottle or jar! And that’s it! Is so simple! Don’t throw away the leftover shredded coconut, make your own coconut flour!
Now, I need to continue sniffing the coconut, is so aromatic! ^_^
- 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 cups of drinkable water
- Soak the shredded coconut in drinkable water with about 1 inch above the shredded coconut for 2 hours.
- Blend the shredded coconut with the drinkable water in a blender on high speed for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the blended coconut liquids to the nut milk bag.
- Use all your mighty strength to squeeze the milk out into a bowl.
- Transfer the milk to a bottle or jar.
- Refrigerate it. It can be kept for 3-5 days or till it smells bad.
- If you are residing in Singapore, 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut is equivalent to about 1 packet of unsweetened shredded coconut from the wet market.
- After the coconut milk has been refrigerated, you will notice that a thick whitish layer is formed on the top of the milk. That is the coconut cream! Please do not throw away, that is the most delicious portion. You can use it to cook or bake!